Augmented Reality

So, I've been exploring the technicalities and coolness of "Augmented Reality" AR at my workplace over the last week or so. It's a process of basically overlaying 2d or 3d images onto video of the world in "real time". This can be done using a video camera and a computer which could then lead to some kind of headset in the future. The process has been around for a number of years, but recently it has become possible to do it relatively easy on a website.

here is a video that got our curiosity going

--
It's designed using Adobe Flash, a code library called papervision3d , and another library called FLARToolKit based off of ARToolKit.

Saqoosha, who translated the code to work with flash, has some sample code to get started
http://saqoosha.net/en/flartoolkit/start-up-guide/

There is a nice starter article that I've been going back to more than once from Mikko Haapoja out of Toronto:
www.mikkoh.com/blog/

A company called Boffswana designed a little monster AR that got the ball rolling:
www.boffswana.com/news/

papervision official site:
papervision3d.org/

papervision3d tutorials at pv3d.org/

I nice little blog documenting the broader AR goings on.
www.augmented.org/

Here is a blog post from my boss filling out some other details on the topic.

GE is also doing a neat little AR thing with some cool animations.

I'm hoping to get a working version of my own up soon and I'll try to put it up here when it's ready. I'm finding in exciting as well as a good reason to learn some new stuff.

Hopefully you got something out of this. I needed a place to try and condense these finds into something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Aphex Twin Interview

WEIRDCORE tAlk

NEW track "Next To"